Remember the lemon bar boxed mix that is a staple of graduation parties and BBQs?
These are not that. Not even close.
These are so refreshing they taste borderline healthy. Key word: borderline.
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup cold butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 heaping cup flaked coconut**
*I used one regular lemon and four meyer lemons. If meyer lemons aren't readily available, I suggest mixing in a tablespoon or so of orange juice to balance out the flavor.
**If you hate coconut, leave it out. Just sprinkle with extra confectioners' sugar after baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9"x9" (or other square) pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour and confectioners' sugar.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly using a pastry blender, food processor, or even a fork if you're feeling scrappy.
- Press dry mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- While the crust cooks, beat the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and baking powder in a medium bowl until well mixed.
- Pour over crust; sprinkle coconut evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction