I never thought I'd say this, but sometimes you just don't want chocolate. Now is one of those times. It's already just too hot for anything richer than an after-sundown s'more. These get the job done - (AND BONUS) no forks necessary. I also strangely love them chilled, like a pie popsicle.
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold, unsalted butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
zest and juice of one lemon
4 cups frozen blueberries*
1/2 cup white sugar
5 teaspoons cornstarch
*You do not need to pre-thaw the berries. Also, feel free to sub fresh berries instead. If using fresh, use four teaspoons of cornstarch instead of five.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together: 1 cup sugar, flour and baking powder. Add in salt and lemon zest.
- Use a pastry blender (or a fork if you're feeling scrappy) to cut butter, then egg into mixture. Dough will crumbly. Press half of dough mixture into prepared pan.
- In a new medium bowl, mix together cornstarch, lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in blueberries until they are coated. Pour blueberry mixture evenly into pan. Cover blueberries with remaining dough mixture.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Cool before cutting (or pop them in the fridge/freezer for a few minutes if you aren't feeling patient).
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen.