I don't even know how to accurately describe how awesome this is.
It's not really a cake, not really a pie. Texture wise, imagine something along the lines of a lighter bread pudding.
All that being said, just trust me on this one. The best part? You probably have all of the ingredients already. If you went anywhere near an apple orchard this weekend, I can almost bet on it.
WHAT YOU NEED:
5-6 large apples
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
Cinnamon and powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Peel, halve and core apples, then cut into medium chucks, about 1/4 inch thick. Place apples directly into prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well-combined. Beat in vanilla, then stir flour in with a spatula.
- Pour mixture over apples, using the spatula to press into apples until they the exposed top layer is covered.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto plate, then again onto a serving platter. Dust with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen