Struesel makes everything better. Also, butter.
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup salted caramel sauce, plus more for drizzling*
*Trader Joe's Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce is my favorite. But for something more widely available, Smucker's version will definitely get the job done.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl, and add in vanilla. Beat until well combined. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until just combined. If your dough seems overly sticky, add more flour. I needed an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- Press about 1/3 of the mixture firmly into an even layer in the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Place the remaining dough in the refrigerator while you wait.
- Remove bottom crust from oven. Pour caramel sauce evenly overtop. Crumble remaining dough on top of caramel layer.
- Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is just beginning to brown and the caramel is starting to bubble.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with extra caramel sauce. Allow to completely cool before slicing. Top slices with a pinch of coarse salt, if desired.
Recipe via Averie Cooks