From the outside, this baby just looks okay, almost too simple. But it's absurd good. And comes together in no time. Just make it.
WHAT YOU NEED:
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, divided
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for coating the pan
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
7 ounces sweetened condensed milk (usually 1/2 can)
1 cup plus two tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square pan liberally with nonstick spray, then sprinkle sides and bottom evenly with sugar.
- Brown the butter. Melt 5 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until completely melted, and just beginning to brown, removing as soon as it begins to smell nutty. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter and the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, then eggs one at a time, followed by the sweetened condensed milk. Mix well.
- Use a spatula to fold in the melted butter until evenly incorporated. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Drop spoonfuls of jam onto batter, then use a knife to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake begins to pull from the outside of the pan and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cake cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.